DU professor Hany Babu’s arrest a ‘direct attack on education’, release him, students demand
A group of over 300 students of Delhi University professor MT Hany Babu on Friday released a statement in solidarity with the activist and said the National Investigative Agency’s warrant against him was a “direct attack on education, activists and the academic space at large”. Babu was arrested by the agency on July 28 in connection with the Bhima Koregaon case.
Babu teaches in the Delhi University’s English department and is well-known as an anti-caste activist. He is a member of the committee formed to defend GN Saibaba, a former Delhi University professor who is currently serving a life term in Nagpur for his links to the Communist Party of India (Maoist).
His students condemned the arrest and said the nature of Babu’s alleged “crime” remains unclear because the NIA warrant against him was “deliberately vague with clearly fabricated accusations”.
“Professor Babu has maintained his innocence since the illegal raid at his Noida apartment last year in September by Pune police,” statement said. “The raid, which was conducted without a warrant, resulted in the Pune Police confiscating Babu’s laptop, mobile phones, two booklets printed for the GN Saibaba defence committee and two books which are publicly available in bookstores and libraries.”
Babu’s home was searched by…
- Coronavirus: After two positive results, further tests on Atletico Madrid players return negative
- KSEEB 10th result: Karnataka SSLC result declared; pass percent 71.8%: LIVE UPDATE
- Karnataka 10th result to be declared today at karresults.nic.in
- CHSE Odisha 12th result expected this week, report
- TN 10th board exam result announced at tnresults.nic.in; Check for direct link: LIVE UPDATE